Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tunes for Tuesday - Dirty Cajun Style

Hitting this blog again with a post; trying to get back into the swing of things!  Since I've been away, I've missed being able to share with you this thing that makes me quite happy... music.  So, today I wanted to revisit this "Tunes for Tuesday" posting schedule and put some music in your face! :)

If you follow me on Facebook, then you already know how much I adore this musician. I could go on and on about the whys too, but I'll spare you from ALL the details and just give you the most important. He's real.  His songs are real, his voice is raw, his emotion is true, he's living these stories... He isn't sugar coating the truth. He's leaving it all out on the table for you to sit down and take a bite of.  And it's spicy! Most importantly though is he's an activist (although, I'm not sure he calls himself one).  He spends his time advocating for the people who have been affected by the BP oil spill, singing his songs about the disasters he's faced, and told the Oil Spill Commission to "Do The Right Damn Thing!"  (Yeah, baby!)

So, who am I talking about?  Well, Drew Landry, of course!  Don't you know him? If you don't, you really should.  

I first discovered this guy right after the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, two years ago.  While trolling the internet reading every article I could about the disaster, I ran across this little gem:


You may wonder why this song means anything to me... you know, since I live in the North East and have been here for more than half of my life... well, I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico in the Panama City Beach area.  We swam in these waters daily, fished from these shores often, and even dug up crawfish.  

The way of life for the people on the gulf coast shores will never be the same; the ecosystem that once supported families in the area and a large portion of the seafood available to the people of the United States is no longer alive. Thankfully there is someone like Drew out there advocating for the truth and the proper solutions! 

Now, I must have listened to the BP Blues song several dozen times before I started searching for other songs by Drew and I wasn't disappointed!  It turns out that Drew has written several songs that touch on corrupt politics and practices - like "Last Man Standing", along with several songs that portray how he grew up - like "Juvenile Delinquent."  


I could probably run off posting about every single song he has written, because I just love him so.  

I hope that if you've gotten this far, that you listened to his songs!  Now, if you are looking to find more from Drew Landry, you'll have to order an album.  You won't be disappointed, trust me! 

And to Drew, you may never read this, but please know that I admire your strength and dedication to helping people!  You're a bright star in this universe!  Keep on keepin' on, man!

Until next time... xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment